Visiting Scholars Program
The MOSAIC Visiting Scholars Program (VSP) offers four to six-week electives at NYC Health + Hospitals for medical students and trainees from groups underrepresented in medicine. The goal is to increase diversity of the house staff and the physician workforce by creating experiential, clinical, and mentorship opportunities across NYC Health + Hospitals.
MOSAIC VSP will run two cohorts per year. Each VSP participant will be matched to a NYC H+H participating site and will conduct clinical shadowing, didactic sessions, practical learnings, simulation and experiential training opportunities that will help participants develop and refine their professional development skills, gain clinical exposure and strengthen their commitment to social justice and serving vulnerable populations. The rotations will take place between August – October, 2023 and January – March, 2024, depending on the availability of the placement.
Participants accepted into MOSAIC VSP will be provided a stipend ($2,000 stipend for 4 weeks and $3,000 for 6 weeks) and an additional $2,000 housing stipend for participants not from the New York City metro area. Students from the NYC metro area are expected to cover their own housing costs.
- Emergency Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery
- Orthopedics and Hand Surgery
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
* Additional elective options available
While the program is open to any level of medical student, resident, and post bacc student, each elective site has different preferences for the level of student/trainee. The total number of slots will depend on the availability of individual placements and funding.
- Medical students must be attending a U.S. accredited allopathic medical schools (i.e., are enrolled in Medical Degree-granting programs) or osteopathic medical schools (i.e., are enrolled in Doctor of Osteopathy-granting programs)
- Residents must be attending an ACGME-accredited residency program
- From a group under-represented in medicine, which we define as Black/African-American, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American/Alaska Native, and Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian
Applicants must submit their application to MOSAIC@nychhc.org by April 28, 2023. The VSP team will review applications and offer interviews to a select number of candidates based on a matching process from applicants’ elective preferences.
Final decisions will be emailed by May 19, 2023.
All accepted VSP Students will receive funding of $2,000 for four weeks and $3,000 for six weeks as a stipend to defray living expenses as part of the VSP program. There is an additional $2,000 housing stipend for students not from the New York City metro area.
Placements will take place between August – October, 2023 and January – March, 2024. Students will specify which of the two placement windows they would prefer in the application.
Send all application materials to MOSAIC@nychhc.org by the application deadline of April 28, 2023.
- Complete Application (send a completed version of the PDF application to MOSAIC@nychhc.org)
- Official Transcripts
- Personal Statement (including your interest)
- Letter of Recommendation, ideally from faculty member or dean at your home institution